Tash-Hauli palace, Khiva
Historical monuments of Khiva

Tash-Hauli palace In the period of Allakuli-khan (1825-1842), the political, public and trading center of Khiva had moved to the eastern part of Ichan-Qala. A new complex formed at the gates of Palvan-darvaza: a new palace, madrassah, caravanserai and shopping mall (tim). The palace of Allakuli-khan was named Tash-Hauli ("Stone courtyard"). It looks like a fortress with high battlements, towers and fortified gates. Its architecture is based on the traditions of Khorezm houses and country villas ("hauli") with enclosed courtyards, shady column aivans and loggias.

Tash-Hauli palace Tash-Hauli consists of three parts, grouped around inner courtyards. The northern part was occupied by the Khan's harem. The formal reception room-ishrat-hauli adjoins the last one on the southeast; court office (arz-khana) - in the southwest. In the center of Ishrat-hauli there is a round platform for the Khan's yurt. Long labyrinths of dark corridors and rooms connected the different parts of the palace. Refined majolica on walls, colored paintings on the ceiling, carved columns and doors are distinctive features of Tash-Hauli decor.

Tash-Hauli palace A corridor separated the family courtyard of Tash-Hauli (harem or haram) from the official part. Its southern side is occupied by five main rooms: apartments for the Khan and his four wives. The two-storied structure along the perimeter of the courtyard was intended for servants, relatives and concubines. Each aivan of the harem represents a masterpiece of Khivan applied arts. Their walls, ceilings and columns display unique ornamental patterns. Majolica wall panels were performed in traditional blue and white color. Red-brown paintings cover the ceilings. Copper openwork lattices decorate the windows.

  • Historical monuments of Khiva   >>>
  • Historical monuments of Uzbekistan   >>>






  • About Company  |  Contact Us  |  Careers  |  Newsroom
    OrexCA.com © 2003-2014. All rights reserved
    Created by OrexCA.com creative group
    License № 037-04, Certification № 006550
    ISO 9001:2008 certified
    Terms of use

    Our contacts: e-mail: info@OrexCA.com
    Reservation Department: (+998 71) 235 70 98
    Tourism Department: (+998 71) 235 76 50
    Administrative Department: (+998 71) 235 90 82
    London: +44 (0) 20 3287 5671