Ferghana Regional Museum of Regional Studies
Museums of Ferghana Valley
Ferghana Regional Museum of Regional Studies is one of the oldest in Uzbekistan. From October, 16 to November 7, 1894 in New Margilan (now Ferghana) the first regional agricultural and industrial exhibition was held. Items from these collections and some other collections donated by various people form the basis of the creation of the museum.
The order of the Ferghana region governor, dated November 2, 1895, founded the committee for the management and further development of the museum. Also, this order allowed the use of four rooms on the top floor of the governor's house as temporary premises for the museum. The Charter of the museum was authorized on July 4, 1897. By this time, the museum collection already totaled 1200 objects and books.
The grand opening of the Ferghana Regional Public Museum was held on May 26, 1899, the day of the 100th anniversary of the birthday of Alexander Pushkin. There were 2223 objects and books in the museum at the moment of opening. The museum was placed in a wing of the governor's house and existed on private donations.
Significant contributions to the museum's creation were made by O.A. Fedchenko (the wife of the well-known traveler A.P. Fedchenko), and also the Imperial Russian Geographical Society, the Imperial Moscow Society of Naturalists, Russian Archeological Society, Odessa Society of History and Antiquities, the Nerchinsk Public Museum and others.
Unfortunately, in 1911 the museum was closed to private donation as a result of the ceasing of inflow of donations. Its activity was revived only after the establishment of Soviet authority in Ferghana.
In the middle of the 1920's, a museum in the historical department where photos and documents reflecting the victories of the Soviet authority over local resistance groups was created. Later to this department was added materials on industrialization and collectivization, and the realization of cultural change in the territory. The museum strenuously worked during the years of the Second World War when employees of the museum considerably strengthened its archives with materials on the heroic feats of the inhabitants of Ferghana at the fronts, as well as their self-denying work on the home front.
Beginning 50 years ago, the museum began to conduct regular archeological projects, which are conducted by graduates of the Leningrad universities of N. G. Gorbunova and B. S. Hamburg. From 951 to 1956 collections have been augmented with archeological finds containing 2161 artifacts (at the moment of its opening, the museum in its collections contained only 2 subjects of archeology). Currently, the archeological collection of the museum is one of the richest in the Ferghana valley, with more than 10,000 pieces in storage. These mostly consist of stone tools, ceramics, and bronze from burial grounds and settlements which were settled in territory of the valley, though many other types of artifacts are represented.
In total, the archives of the museum today contain over 80 thousand exhibits. Aside from archeological materials, these are products of arts and crafts, a collection Rishtan and Gurumsaray ceramics, stamps, jewelry, and embroidery. A huge, interesting collection of paintings including creations of the first Ferghana professional artists M.N. Jantsyn and P.M. Nikiforov, and of the National artist H. Wolkov.
A significant part of the collection is made up of original photos, documents, and physical artifacts on the ancient and modern history of the territory.
Throughout the years of independence the role of the Ferghana museum in public life has considerably increased. Over the last ten years, employees of the museum have without assistance carried out a number of expeditions, which further the merits of the museum's work - The Ferghana regional museum of regional studies - one of the oldest in Uzbekistan. At present, employees of the museum are conducting archeological excavations in Kuva, Aitiarik and Uzbekistan region.
In years of independence a role of Ferghana museum in public life of area has considerably increased. Last ten years employees of a museum have without assistance carried out a number of expeditions. Which international actions such, as 1200 summer Ahmad al-Fargoniy and 900 summer Burhoniddin al-Marginaniy, further on merits a museum of workers in our area were spent. At present employees of a museum conduct archeological excavations in Kuva, Aitiarik and Uzbekistan region.
During the years of independence employees of the museum have published several books. For example, G. P. Ivanov together with the institute of Archeology of Uzbekistan, has published in two languages the work "City of Kuva in the era of Ahmad al-Fargoniy" (in Uzbek and English). N. Abdulahatov and B. Hashimov have written a number of brochures such as "Ahmad al-Fargoniy", "Muyi Mubarak", and "Era of Burhoniddin al-Marginaniy and his progeny". Aside from these scientific and popular publications, the articles of employees are regularly printed in native and foreign scientific magazines.
Annually, more than 60 thousand guests visit the museum. Here are held lessons on history, geography, literature, art etc., and also the practical work of students, teachers, post graduate students, and scientists is conducted.
The regional museum has 7 branches: The U. Jusupov memorial museum is in v. Kaptarxona, Ferghana region, the museum of X. X. Niyazi in the settlement of Hamzaabad, the J. Ahunbabaev memorial museum in Margelan, the museum of Uzbekistan history in the city of Jajpan, the Museum of Literature and Art in Margelan, the Museum Khaziniy in Uchkuprik, the Museum of Altiariq History.
The Museum is open every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
26, Usmankhodjaev Str.,
Ferghana city, Ferghana province
Tel.: (3732) 243191, 243621, 243261
Fax: (3732) 243191