Historical monuments of Bukhara
Chashma-Ayub belongs to the esteemed "places of trace" ("kadamjoi") left by saints. Legends say that the bible prophet Job (Ayub) once visited this place. A blow of his staff created a well ("chash-ma"). Its water remains pure to this day, and is considered to have healing powers. Legends of the Fountain of Aiyub >>>
According to legend, a holy structure already existed here in the 12th century. The inscription on the portal states that today's structure was built by Amir Temur. Characteristic of Chashma-Ayub is a conical dome, typical of Khorezm architecture in the 13th and 14th centuries. Most likely, Khorezm masters invited by Temur were the builders of Chashma-Ayub.
"Chor-minor" ("Four minarets") is a name of unusual Madrassah of Caliph Niyazkul, built in 1807. Madrassah has a courtyard with one-storied hudjras, column aivan of summer mosque and reservoir faced with stones.
Original is the entrance - four-arch dome structure with four corner towers under blue domes. Three towers were used as utility rooms. The fourth has a stair going to the second floor into the dome hall of library.
Historical monuments of Bukhara >>>
Historical monuments of Uzbekistan >>>